Skip to Content

Family-Based Petitions

Are you a Lawful Permanent Resident or U.S. citizen who is interested in getting a green card for a family member? LPRs are entitled to apply for permanent residence for their spouses and unmarried children. U.S. citizens can apply for permanent residence for spouses, parents, and married or unmarried children. The eligibility of any individual family member will depend on that person’s specific history as it relates to the requirements of permanent residence.

Family members immigrate according to “preference categories.” These categories determine the approximate length of time that the family member will have to wait to be eligible for residence. Some preference categories have a very long wait time.


Green Cards for Family Members of U.S. Citizens

Green Cards for Family Preference Immigrants

How do I LPR (PDF, 577 KB)