Skip to Content

Student Visas

Interested in a student visa? The International Student and Scholar Office can assist you. The Attorney for Students Office may be able to help with issues that may affect your F-1 status. 


If you would like to study as a full-time student in the United States, you will need a student visa. There are two nonimmigrant visa categories for persons wishing to study in the United States. These visas are commonly known as the F and M visas.

You may enter in the F-1 or M-1 visa category provided you meet the following criteria:

  • You must be enrolled in an "academic" educational program, a language-training program, or a vocational program
  • Your school must be approved by the Student and Exchange Visitors Program, Immigration & Customs Enforcement
  • You must be enrolled as a full-time student at the institution
  • You must be proficient in English or be enrolled in courses leading to English proficiency
  • You must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the entire proposed course of study
  • You must maintain a residence abroad which you have no intention of giving up.

It is extremely important that you comply with the requirements of your student visa if you intend to remain in the U.S. in lawful status. Often, the requirements can be very complicated, and the specific rules related to student status have been changing frequently.

For more information, please visit the International Office's website.


USCIS Issues Revised Final Guidance on Unlawful Presence for Students and Exchange Visitors