Skip to Content

Renters, Homeowners and General Liability Insurance

Protect yourself against the loss of personal property, injuries to people on your property, or damages to your home with a renter's or homeowner's insurance policy. The property and damages that are covered depend on the type of insurance policy you purchase. For example, you can get personal injury coverage, and coverage for damages to fences, the roof, windows, hail damage, etc. based on decision you make with your insurance provider.

AFS can help you navigate your insurance claims, provide additional resources and information. To make an appointment with an attorney, call our office at (512) 245-2370. Be sure to have your student ID # (ex: A01234567) available to schedule an appointment.

Renter's Insurance

Renter’s insurance is an affordable policy that covers the loss of your personal items in certain circumstances. You can find a renter’s insurance policy through your car insurance or another insurance company, and just ask them to add a policy for you. There are also inexpensive policies you can find on the internet. Just search “renter’s insurance”.

Homeowner's Insurance

This type of policy is often required by the mortgage company to protect the home while the loan is being repaid.  It also protects the homeowner from loss of the house and the loss of personal property inside the home due to fire, wind, damage, snow, rain, theft, vandalism and more.  It is necessary for a homeowner to insure their property and protect guests in the event of an injury.


General Liability Insurance

This type of policy usually is purchased with renter’s insurance. General liability insurance is meant to protect the property of the landlord you rent from. It is necessary, because if you damage your landlord’s property, your renter’s insurance will not cover the damage, and the landlord is under no obligation to make a claim on their policy. If you do not have general liability insurance you will have to pay out of pocket to fix the landlord’s property or likely will be sued.



  • The upstairs neighbor leaves the water running and it floods your apartment damaging your TV, computer, and couch.  Renter's insurance should cover the cost of replacing those items.  It may also pay your housing expenses in the situation that your apartment becomes unlivable or uninhabitable. You will pay a deductible and submit the estimated amount of the damage to the insurance carrier.
  • Tornado damages the roof and you must move out while the landlord fixes the building.  Renter's insurance could cover the cost of your hotel bill and related moving costs.


  • You are a host for a BBQ for friends and a guest falls off the balcony.  Homeowner's insurance with personal injury policy should cover their medical bills and the cost to fix the broken balcony.
  • A tornado or high winds damages the outside or inside of your home. Your home insurance will cover the cost of the damages, usually after you pay a deductible.


  • The toilet in the 3rd floor apartment you are renting leaks for months on end. It eventually falls through the floor, damaging all the apartments and property on the second and first floors below you. If it is determined you are liable (for example, because you failed to provide written notice of the leak) your general liability insurance, will pay out for at least some of the damages to the building to be repaired, after you pay your deductible. If the landlord chooses not to make a claim on their own insurance policy, you will still be covered by your general liability policy and will not have to pay for the damages to the landlord’s property out of pocket.
  • The candle you or your guest lit falls over and causes a curtain to catch fire. The fire spread and damages your wall and the adjoining apartment wall, the smoke from the fire damages the ceiling, and the sprinkler system went off and flooded the apartment. If you have general liability insurance, it will pay the landlord for the cost of the damages.